Read the article on page 818
Matt Bruenig: The Case against Free College
Answer the following questions in a Word Document
1. Why does Bruenig place quotation marks around â€œfree collegeâ€ in paragraph 2?
2. In paragraph 2, Bruenig refers to â€œmeans-tested tuition subsidies.â€ What does the term means-tested mean?
3. According to Bruenig, what is the primary problem with free college?
4. Bruenig believes current â€œstudent benefit campaignersâ€ are focusing on the wrong issue. What does he mean?
5. What is Bruenigâ€™s attitude toward the â€œwelfare stateâ€? Do you agree with his view? Why or why not?
6. In paragraph 9, Bruenig cites â€œa broader egalitarian project.â€ What does this project seem to be? How is it related to the overall purpose of this essay?
7. Bruenig takes a critical view of advocates seeking to make college more affordable and alleviate the burden of student debt. Is his purpose in this essay to persuade these â€œbenefit campaignersâ€? Do they seem to be part of his primary audience? Explain.
8. Vocabulary Project. In paragraph 8, Bruenig refers to the American â€œfaith in meritocracy.â€ What is a meritocracy? What connotations does this word have? Does Bruenigâ€™s use of this term make sense within the context of his overall argument?