Describe an aspect of your own culture (American) from an etic (outsiderâ€™s) perspective in Part I of the paper.
- Describe an aspect of another culture (China) from an emic (insiderâ€™s) perspective in Part II of the paper.
- Apply cultural relativism in order to examine misconceptions about culture that may occur due to ethnocentrism.
- Keep the distinction between cultural relativism and moral relativism in mind as you write your final paper.
- Even if you do not personally agree with a cultural practice, explain how the practice makes sense in its cultural context.
- Avoid opinionated or judgmental language in your paper.
- Analyze your chosen aspect in terms of how it developed as part of a social system within both your culture and another culture.
- Analyze your chosen aspect in terms of its purpose as part of a social system both within your own culture and another culture.