For this essay, review the Writing and Formatting Your Essay document and the Basic Rubric. 1. Read a few credible online articles on the assigned prompt: Should American cities ban plastic straws?
2. Take a stand: American cities (should/should not) ban plastic straws. Keep your thesis simple.
3. Decide on two clear reasons to support your thesis. Write your reasons as complete sentences, not as phrases and not as questions.
4. Write a well-developed essay (900 words min)
5. Include the following:
- Title for the essay
- Introductory paragraph that begins with a hook and ends in an underlined thesis statement
- Two body paragraphs that each begin with an underlined topic sentence
- A conclusion
- A Reference or Works Cited listing
Use a minimum of 2 authoritative, credible online sources to support your argument, and cite at least 1 source in each body paragraph. Each quote should be introduced in the text with a signal phrase: let the reader know in advance whom you are quoting and the context of the source. All sources should be correctly cited in the text using parenthetical citations where needed, and each source should be included in a Works Cited (MLA) or Reference (APA) section at the end of the document, following guidelines consistently. Do not cite sources in the body of the essay with Internet addresses (URLs), nor only use a URL for the reference at the end of the document.